Sunday, April 20, 2008

Spring & Flowers: April 5th



Talk Talk: April 5th

[purchase]

I stopped recommending Talk Talk to people several years ago after consistently receiving tepid responses, at best, from friends. I admit that they are a bit moody and difficult at times, but I love the band (late period only) and I think they are more musical than people give them credit for.

Talk Talk started off as darlings of the New Romantic movement in 1981, getting heavy rotations on MTV. But by their third album, front man Mark Hollis had led them away from pop music into the netherworlds of a particularly haunting brand of jazz-infused post-rock. In my opinion their two great albums are The Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock, with Spirit of Eden being the clear high point. I also think Hollis's first solo offering is worth hearing.

But, like I said, I don't officially recommend this band to people anymore. Purchase or download at your own risk.

That being said, you can't help but love the lyrics of this featured track:

Here she comes
Silent in her sound
Here she comes
Fresh upon the ground

Come gentle spring
Come at winter's end
Gone is the pallor from a promise that's nature's gift
Waiting for the colour of spring
Let me breathe
Let me breathe the colour of spring

Here she comes
Laughter in her kiss
Here she comes
Shame upon her lips

Come wanton spring, come
For birth you live
Youth takes its bow before the summer the seasons bring
Waiting for the colour of spring
Let me breathe

Reader submission by Berrett

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about "...tepid responses, at best..." when recommending music to others. I've pretty much givin up on trying to get folks to like what I like: I wait until they ask me, "Hey what is this?" before giving my two cents.

(Which, I think, means that folks like us have much more refined ears!)

I'll admit to having never heard Talk Talk before, but the line "Come wanton spring, come" is going to become my new favorite thing to clench my fists at the sky and curse with, at the ends of long, drug-out Minnesota winters!

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I must be getting old.


I used to own their first album (vinyl) and really liked it! Have you heard the news? is one of the best new romantic tracks ever.