Monday, June 9, 2008

Advice: 10 more don'ts from Divinyl




We had a power cut round my way, it lasted most of the evening and night. I get back and there are about a trillion posts! In an effort to catch up, and to cut down my list of things I want to post a little, I give you ten great songs which give advice on what not to do. There's a fine line between advice and plea or command, but I reckon these fall on the side of guidance.


Leonard Cohen: Don't Go Home With Your Hard-On

[purchase]

Mr Cohen in unusually upbeat, lighthearted mode,

"Don't go home with your hard-on, it will only drive you insane"!

The Byrds: Don't Doubt Yourself, Babe

[purchase]

"Let your feet stand up for your beliefs, babe...let what's inside be your guide".

Sister Rosetta Tharpe: Don't Take Everybody To Be Your Friend

[purchase]

Worthy advice from the singing Sister.

Doris Duke: Don't Let the Green Grass Fool You

[purchase]

From the truly excellent I'm A Loser: The Swamp Dog Sessions.

Peggy Lee: Don't Smoke In Bed

[purchase]

A wistful song - advice to her lover as she leaves him.

Willie Nelson and Sinead O'Connor: Don't Give Up

[purchase]

A great cover of the Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush song.

Guns n Roses: Don't Cry (Alt. Lyrics)

[purchase]

What can I say? This is my teenage rock kid roots at the fore. And features vocals by the late Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon.

Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson: Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys

[purchase]

I shouldn't think that this one needs any introduction...a classic.

The Cramps: Don't Eat Stuff Off the Sidewalk

[purchase]

"Let me give you some advice..."

"You don't need it, so don't eat it"

Michael Jackson: Don't Stop Til You Get Enough

[purchase]

Mr Jackson, back when he was still good!
.

6 comments:

boyhowdy said...

Some great songs here...I have covers of a few, including the Jackson, and love the Nelson/O'Connor cover. The Cohen has never been my favorite -- that's not my favorite era of Cohen production, in general -- but it's good to see him here, nonetheless.

And...I thought I was getting overwhelming, with coverposts creeping in, but TEN at once?! Wow...Good thing there's plenty more for the rest of us!

Divinyl said...

Well I thought that most of them, except maybe the Cohen track, would probably not be used by others anyway...wanted to get my 'don'ts' out of the way, so I could move on to others on my short list! Lol. Haven't updated my own blog since Friday, so must do that, but this site seems to make me compulsive...as, it would seem, it does with everybody else, given the sheer number of posts!

Anonymous said...

None of those were on my short list...

Scott said...

That Byrds song was on my list (surprise surprise!). But I probably shouldn't be the sole Byrds poster anyway...

Three of my choices have been taken already (this one, Jim Croce, and the very obvious Paul Simon--I'm sure we all had that one); I've got about twelve more to choose from. We'll see how much more decimated my list gets by the end of the week.

Unknown said...

Jeepers D, between The Cramps and Michael Jackson, with byways of G-n-R and Peggy Lee, is there any edge of the spectrum your music collection doesn't touch on? Wowsers!

Divinyl said...

Erm...hip hop? Although I'm sure it touches on that somewhere. I am a philostine when it comes to classical music.

BTW, I'm loving the "jeepers" and "wowsers"! Lol.