Thursday, June 12, 2008

Advice: Before You Accuse Me



Creedence Clearwater Revival: Before You Accuse Me

[purchase]

I read an article once about the early years of CCR, but I can't find it anymore. It was sort of a sad story, as I remember it, because the original band was fronted by John Fogerty's older brother Tom. Tom was the one who originally wanted to be a rock star. He was the one who practiced day and night learning the guitar. He wrote the music. He managed the band. He had the dream. I don't remember the details, but at some point John started writing songs and occasionally singing. Things came much more naturally and easily to John. His vastly superior talent slowly but surely overshadowed that of his brother, causing a rift between the two and resulting in Tom taking a (distant) background position in the band.  Of course, Tom left CCR in 1971 effectively destroying the band.

Maybe I'm too sentimental, but I really feel sorry for old Tom.

I wish I could find my source material for this story. I hope I didn't misrepresent any of it. If so, feel free to correct me.

The featured track gives very good advice: Before you accuse me, take a look at yourself.  This track was ripped from vinyl to MP3, so the quality may be less than perfect.  I should probably replace all of my old CCR records with CD's, but I have never really had a need to.



0 comments: