Friday, June 13, 2008

Advice: Scorn Not His Simplicity



Sinead O'Connor: Scorn Not His Simplicity

[purchase]

Universal Mother is the last Sinead O'Connor record that I liked at all, and I didn't even like it all that much. It is a bit of a spotty album containing, on the one hand, a couple of the best songs she has ever written (e.g., John I Love You) and on the other some real throw-away tracks (e.g., Fire In Babylon, Red Football).


The featured track is a sweet little song about a child with mental disabilities of some kind who is rejected by other children and cried over by his mother. Sinead's advice is to "scorn not his simplicity but rather try to love him all the more". This is respectable advice coming from Sinead O'Connor, who, even though her earnestness often overshadows her messages, really has been a tireless advocate of children's rights for the last 20 years.


2 comments:

riggity said...

I love Fire In Babylon, I'm surprised you don't. But I agree with the overall sentiment that this is a spotty album.

bwrice said...

Hey riggity - what's up? Fire in Babylon? Really? I actually don't like it at all. I think John I Love You is beautiful, though. It's all about the melody on that song. It's really well put together, I think.

The Nirvanna cover is weak. The rap song is even worse. Overall, spotty is the best word for the record.

But there are some really strong moments.