Monday, April 28, 2008

City Songs: Boston



Patty Griffin, Boston

[purchase Flaming Red]
[purchase other Patty Griffin CDs]

I went back to Boston, back to the city you were lost in...

Silver Bell was supposed to be singer-songwriter Patty Griffin's third album, but it got lost in the shuffle when A&M got bought out by Interscope. Shame, that. Many of the songs on Silver Bell were subsequently rerecorded for other albums, and a few became hits for such luminaries as the Dixie Chicks, but this never-released song is one of her hardest rockers; it is both a tour of my childhood haunts and a tour of my adolescent rock-and-roll angst.

Purchase link goes to Flaming Red, Griffin's underrated (if overproduced) second album, which shares the same diverse grungefolk sensibility as much of Silver Bell. You can find a half-dozen folk and country covers of Patty Griffin songs here.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Love this lost record from Patty, as well Flamming Red, which is my personal fav. Where you ever a member over at the Patty fan sites? Do you own a copy of the 3 disc LFML series?

Anne said...

Wow, I am so excited to see this! I have one other song from Silver Bell and love it.

This definitely sounds more like Flaming Red. Flaming Red was the first album of hers I had and I loved it, but now it seems so out of place in it's production. Thanks again for this! I look forward to reading more here.