Thursday, May 8, 2008

2:42 - The Whole Point Of No Return



The Style Council: The Whole Point Of No Return

[purchase]

The Jam is one of my all-time favorite bands, so when Paul Weller moved on to his next project, The Style Council, I naturally followed. In terms of sound, The Style Council departed from The Jam to such a degree that the effect was shocking to fans at the time, but the song writing was still strong so the experiment worked, for the most part. I’ll still choose The Jam every time, but the Council has some great moments.

The featured track is from the Style Council’s first full-length album, Café Blue (originally titled My Ever Changing Moods in the US). This song is a populist tirade against the royal classes in England. There’s a Bono-like earnestness to the lyrics that, if taken too far, can ruin an otherwise good song; however, in this case I think Weller’s sincerity wins out and the song maintains its approachability.


Plus it just sounds good...

0 comments: