Sunday, January 24, 2010

Live: #41

Dave Matthews Band: #41 (Sojourn of Arjuna)



I was in college in the late 1990's and the early part of the last decade. As such, the cosmic rules of the universe decreed that I was also a fan of the Dave Matthews Band during that time. I bought all the albums, was an active member of the dearly departed message boards at nancies.org, traded concert bootlegs through the mail, and dutifully attended concerts summer after summer (nine total, if I remember correctly). You'll forgive me then for having amassed a rather large collection of live Dave Matthews Band recordings. They were a large part of life for several years.

The track I'm sharing here today was recorded at what was then called the AmSouth Ampitheatre (I don't know what it's called now) in Nashville, TN on July 21, 2001. I attended this show and am still amazed at what I saw that night. For this song, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones joined the DMB on stage and proceeded to weave their way through a 30-minute version of the DMB song "#41" with bits of the Flecktones' "Sojourn of Arjuna" and DMB's "Everyday" mixed in as well. I was, quite simply entranced.

If you make it that far... pay special attention to the percussion breakdown that begins around the 16:00 mark. Carter Beauford from DMB and Futureman from the Flecktones were seated at the same drum kit and were playing across and over top of each other for the entire segment.

Since this is a bootleg recording... the "purchase" link will direct you to the Dave Matthews Band Store at amazon.com.

blog comments powered by Disqus