Thursday, February 18, 2010

O Canada: 5 Years

Kathleen Edwards: 5 Years



Most of us, myself included, came to Kathleen Edwards' music through her 2003 debut album, Failer. Few people, though, are aware of her true debut effort.

Building 55 was self released in 1999 and limited to a quantity of only 500 pressings. The EP is the work of an artist who is clearly still finding her way as a songwriter and performer and probably would not be considered essential for casual Kathleen Edwards fans. What it does show, however, are glimpses of the artist Kathleen would become.

I'm sharing here a track called "5 Years" that is easily the hardest rocking song on the disc and the one that dishes out a heavy dose of anger with its crunchy guitars. As far as I know, this EP is not currently commercially available. The "purchase" link above points to Kathleen's Amazon Artist page.


PS: I don't normally link to my own site on my posts here... but there's a good opportunity for some blog synergy here. This week is "Canadiana Week" at A Fifty Cent Lighter & A Whiskey Buzz, and I'm featuring several Canadian Americana acts. Check it out for a look at some newer Canadian acts that may not get mentioned here this week.

blog comments powered by Disqus