Saturday, January 4, 2020

Snow & Ice: Winter



purchase [Goats Head Soup]

My memory told me that <Goats Head Soup> followed <Exile on Main Street>. Must have been one of the toughest Stones' outputs. (I mean .. pretty hard to improve on that one)

That said, Goats Head Soup (who named it??!?!?) actually includes a few of my favorite Stones pieces - ones I could listen to back to back/over and over again. [Maybe I did once upon a time]. The AllMusic review says as much: difficult placement after Exile ... lots of good overlooked songs.
But, it's <Winter> we need to zoom in on.

Something about the melodic structure - the sound of the instruments ... something else I'm missing that manages to convey a real sense of winter/cold.. Is it the reverb? Or just Jagger's uncanny ability to fit the voice to the theme?

Granted, the lyrics slightly miss the theme of ice and snow, but ...hey ... Winter: the season of ice and snow.

And ... the Stones

blog comments powered by Disqus