Thursday, June 12, 2008

Advice: House of the Rising Sun



The Animals: House of the Rising Sun [purchase]

Probably the best known version of this classic song...although the earliest known recording dates from 1933.
N.B. Essentially not available, seeing as the CD it is from is selling here, used, for £294.36 (close to $600)!

Nina Simone: House of the Rising Sun [purchase]


Variously a song about a life gone to ruin through gambling or prostitution, this is one that has been covered by all and sundry.

"There is a house in New Orleans
They call the Rising Sun
And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy
And God I know I'm one...

Oh mother tell your children
Not to do what I have done
Spend your lives in sin and misery
In the House of the Rising Sun."

Read more about House of the Rising Sun over at Wikipedia...there's a surprising amount to learn!

5 comments:

AC'63 said...

this is one of my favorite songs, each artist has been able to put there own special touch to it. Leadbellys version is one of my favorite.

Divinyl said...

I agree...it never sounds exactly the same, no matter how many times it's covered. And I love Leadbelly! You have very good taste :o)

Unknown said...

I had no idea that Be Good Tanyas did this, too. Thanks.

boyhowdy said...

I've always liked the Be Good Tanyas version - but I hadn't heard the Tracy Chapman. Not bad, if a bit off-genre from her usual folk style.

I also like the Blind Boys of Alabama version of Amazing Grace set to the tune of House of the Rising Sun.

Divinyl said...

Haven't heard that one BH...another to add to my list, I guess! Lol. I like the Tracy Chapman version...I like the way she changes up the 'traditional' rhythm of it all.