Monday, February 2, 2009

One: One Hundred Names


The Nields: One Hundred Names

[purchase]

The first time I heard this song by The Nields (who were a five-piece folk-rock band in a previous incarnation but are now a sister duo), I thought it was about a romantic relationship... and my interpretation worked quite well for months... until someone else told me they thought it was about god (lower case used deliberately) - now I can't hear it any other way...

I am not religious (I was raised Catholic and have been "recovering" from that the remainder of my life) but I do consider myself a spiritual person - I find beauty and joy and faith in the mundane... and I believe miracles happen every day, if one is aware...

In researching the backstory of the title of this song, I came across the following quote - ah, now it all makes sense!

“God has one hundred names: man knows only ninety-nine of them, but the camel knows the hundredth. That is why the camel always goes round with his nose in the air and a superior look on his face.”


P.S. The stunning piano accompaniment is by none other than the amazing Susan Werner, with whom some of you are familiar...

P.P.S. The "you're my favorite cowboy song" lyric always reminds me of Dave Carter...

blog comments powered by Disqus