Monday, February 23, 2009

Shorties: Story In a Nutshell



Bettie Serveert: Story In a Nutshell

[Purchase]

A little over ten years ago this song was one of my go-to songs. This was a time when I made mix tapes for myself and for friends and liked to cram as much on there as possible, and we all know that "shorties" are the mix tape makers friend. They conveniently fill that space at the end of a side where there's not enough room for a regular length song. It allowed you to skip the hassle of fast-forwarding to have the tape switch sides, which was especially nice when making mixes for the car so I didn't have to fiddle with the stereo while driving. After making enough mixes you were able to tell just by the width of wound tape left about how much time you had left, and clocking in barely over a minute long, this song almost always fit and made a welcome addition. I never felt like I was scraping the bottom of the barrel to find something that fit.

What better title for a brief but power-packed fun rock song than something involving a nutshell. Concise. Short but sweet. This song appeared on the Dutch rock band, Bettie Serveert's, 1997 album "Dust Bunnies". It compacts the full pop/rock style and the fun of a little love song into a song that lasts barely over a minute in length. Impressive, if you ask me. So, thank you, Bettie Serveert, for making a fun pop song that kept me safe on the roads!

blog comments powered by Disqus