Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Footwear: Red shoes edition



We've already had two posts on red shoes (Loretta Lynn's Little Red Shoes and Elvis Costello's Red Shoes), but there are plenty more out there. Quite why the fascination with red I do not know, but it's certainly a popular colour when it comes to footwear songs! I like to think, as a 'friend of Dorothy' that it's all about the magical ruby slippers in The Wizard of Oz...but, then again, perhaps not.

Whilst there are a load of songs about red shoes in particular, possibly the most famous 'shoe song' features a different colour...I'm truly surprised that no-one has posted it yet!

Chris Rea: Red Shoes [purchase]
(Not so much because it's a great song as because he comes from my home town!)

Tom Waits: Red Shoes By the Drugstore [purchase]

Sawyer Brown: Ruby Red Shoes [purchase]

Elton John: Ballad of the Boy in the Red Shoes [purchase]

Kate Bush: The Red Shoes [purchase]

Throwing Muses: Red Shoes [purchase]

David Bowie: Let's Dance [purchase]



N.B. The Raincoats also did a song called Red Shoes, but it's pretty awful, so that's why I didn't include it here!

.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

check out the bouncing souls song "undeniable"...

lyrics:

"that minute i saw you
i remembered your red shoes"

Anonymous said...

i would use the word experimental before awful. to be honest, the raincoats track would be my favorite here aside from Tom Waits and Kate Bush. each her own. ;)

Unknown said...

Aigh! Stop posting multiple songs! You have just taken away every song I had left to post for this theme!

Divinyl said...

Christian...I have never even heard of Bouncing Souls...my musical education continues apace here!

Brendan...I love The Raincoats, but Red Shoes is certainly not one of my favourites of theirs, and I really didn't think it would be people's cup of tea here. I can add it to the post if you like??

Matt...I'm so sorry. I panic that I'm not going to get around to posting all the song ideas I have (and I never do get around to it!). I have plenty more left if you want to steal a few back?

Unknown said...

Di~
Don't worry about it. I should probably thank you, actually... This'll give me a chance to recharge my batteries so I can come at next weeks theme fresh and ready!
~Matt

Divinyl said...

I think we may well exchange places Matt...think I may have a 'light' week next theme, as I've been seriously neglecting my own blog. Just can't seem to focus, so may have to 'opt out' here whilst I get my head around it again!