Monday, February 23, 2009

Shorties: Tea for the Tillerman




Cat Stevens: Tea for the Tillerman

[purchase

Okay... I can just hear all of you now - "this week's theme has the Folkie Woman stumped", you are thinking...

I am here to say that not all folk tunes are droning, whining, navel-gazing, train- or mining-disaster-related... and not everything in the genre clocks in at 4+ minutes long - we do have some short, sweet and simple songs to offer up..

Exhibit A - aaahhh...

Tea for the Tillerman came out in 1970 when I was a sophomore in high school - to say it was captivating is an understatement. Such a pain to have to turn that pesky album over to hear Side 2 - hooray for CDs...

When I met my soon-to-be husband in college, the first thing I thought was that he looked like Cat Stevens - Tillerman was a huge part of our life together then as well...

In fact, the whole family was listening to it on our way to vacation on St. George Island this summer... and I was excitedly describing to our kids its far-reaching impact... such that I missed the turn and we went an hour out of our way - Cat Stevens still has the power...

I don't know what this shortie *means*... other than the piano and the chorus and the switch in tempo make me feel good - happy day!

Bonus song from the same album, also less than 2 minutes...

Cat Stevens: But I Might Die Tonight

blog comments powered by Disqus