Friday, March 6, 2009

Bodies of Water: Slack Water Sea



Jez Lowe and The Bad Pennies: Slack Water Sea

[purchase]

Dirty Linen magazine is a wonderful resource for keeping up with folk music. They also cover some world music. Subscribers get their choice of a CD as a thank you.

I got my first subscription two years ago, and I chose a CD that proved to be disappointing. So last year, when I renewed, I chose Jez Lowe and the Bad Pennies with some trepidation. I had never heard of them, and I was afraid there might be a reason for that. There was: bad marketing. The album, The Parrish Notices, is wonderful. Slack Water Sea is typical of the quality of this music. For lack of a better term, call it British folk rock, but the best thing to do is just listen.

blog comments powered by Disqus