Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Drinkin’ Songs: I Gotta Get Drunk



Redbird: I Gotta Get Drunk

[purchase]

Last week, I posted a song by the “folk supergroup” Cry Cry Cry. They were a trio of well known folk artists who recorded one album, consisting of other people’s songs that they had all admired. For one album, Jeffrey Foucalt, Kris Delmhorst, and Peter Mulvey were Redbird, “the other folk supergroup”. Their album was also a collection of other people’s songs. One of these is I Gotta Get Drunk, by Willie Nelson.

Nelson explains how expensive a drinking habit can be. This has almost nothing to do with the price of libations. It’s just that when Nelson’s character is drunk, he gives money to anyone who asks for it.

A request: I’ve never heard Willie Nelson’s original version of this song, Can anyone post it in the comments? Thanks.

blog comments powered by Disqus