Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Little Black Book: Lucille



Kenny Rogers: Lucille

[purchase]

When I was a kid in the 1970’s, Kenny Rogers was the face of “country music,” or at least that’s how I remember it. A few others that come to mind are Dolly Parton, Chrystal Gale, and Willie Nelson. But The Gambler reigned supreme.

Of all the corny songs from that period (and I say that in the most affectionate way possible), this one might be my favorite. It’s right up there with Coward of the County. Anyway, it’s got a very catchy chorus, a few twists and turns, and even a little bit of a morality with the cheatin’.

Here’s what AMG had to say: "Lucille has all the elements of greatness — a potential one-night stand evaporates and the singer trades sex for heart, becoming a hero in the process. The premise and its hook are unforgettable; simple music dresses up the melody and story by not getting in the way."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me, the best part of The Beat Farmers live show was Country Dick's version of Lucille:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQecP8H9xMk

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dean. Love the Beat Farmers.

Anonymous said...

For a long time, I've been tooling around the idea of a definitive Beat Farmers post, but the problem is I knew them too well. I'd have to hold back, since I wouldn't feel right not respecting their privacy. I'm not sure if I could overcome that hurdle. What further complicates it - Joey Harris recently had a ugly fallout with the remaining members, I'm sure anything I'd write would be blown out of proportion with the current bad feelings that abound.