Friday, May 23, 2008

Little Black Book: Victoria



Kinks: Victoria [purchase Castle edition of Arthur, which has 10 bonus tracks]

I'm actually kinda shocked no one's posted this yet. This is the song that sent me over the edge for The Kinks. The leadoff track on their 1969 masterpiece, Arthur, "Victoria" is a tongue-in-cheek rebuke of quaint, old British values, while simultaneously longing for those same values. Classic Ray Davies, for sure. Most importantly, the track rocks. New bassist, John Dalton, and perennially underrated badass, Mick Avory, keep the song in the pocket, while Ray and brother Dave's guitars expertly weave in and out of each other's way like they're in a car chase ... much like their vocal harmonies, actually. Best part of the song is where Dave goes mental at "Hong Kong." Priceless.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAWN!!!

WE can do better!

boyhowdy said...

It's only opinion, but I think anyone who has the gall to yawn at one of us should be willing to do so non-anonymously. (Or would that be "nonymously"?)

LD said...

Actually, I agree with anonymous. If that post is any barometer, they definitely can do better.

Paul said...

I think that anonymous comment is bullshit and I really hope it wasn't posted by one of the contributors here. I suspect not.

Victoria is one of the greatest songs by one of the greatest bands ever to walk the earth. Just my opinion.

"I was born, lucky me ... "

Anonymous said...

My educated guess is that the 9:00 anonymous commenter is somebody who may, perhaps, be lacking a sense of humor.

Anonymous said...

anon is probably in a band. its ok, i hope you try to top the kinks, but good luck.

if the yawn is at the post... anon ought to listen deeper, or read better.

star machine meet hype machine.

Anonymous said...

What's the point in making a forthright statement like:

"Victoria is one of the greatest songs by one of the greatest bands ever to walk the earth."

... Only to disqualify it with "Just my opinion"?

LD said...

Paul's just being diplomatic. Anyone with more than 42 functioning brain cells knows his statement is empirically true.

Anonymous said...

Neil,

There is no point. You got me.