Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Little Black Book: Veronica



Elvis Costello: Veronica

[purchase]

OK - I know there are at least three of us who are thinking about posting this song, so I hope you'll forgive me for taking it.

For me, Allison and Veronica are the bookends that mark one of the strongest, if not the strongest, streaks of musical output in rock history. Ten brilliant albums in as many years is a standard that very few artists can compete with (I say 10 instead of 11 because Goodbye Cruel World was a bit of a misstep, in my opinion). Following Veronica, Costello has done some very nice work, but nothing since has ever compared with his initial decade-long burst of activity.

Trust, Armed Forces, This Year's Model, Get Happy, Imperial Bedroom, King of America. Man, that's some great stuff!  This incredible streak started with a girl's name, and it ended in the same way.

I know I'm preaching to the converted, as it seems that most of the authors here are Costello fans. But that's as it should be.

So, sit back and Dig It!

4 comments:

boyhowdy said...

Bonus information: Veronica was co-written by Paul McCartney.

I posted a great polka-esque cover of this song a while back as part of a larger post on post-Beatles covers. Great stuff.

bwrice said...

I didn't know that, but I must say that I hear a definite McCartney sound in the melody now that you mention it. Great info -- and a cool cover version over there on your site too. Thanks.

bwrice said...

A lot of my friends love MV too, so you guys are not alone. I don't know what it is, but for me it just never clicked. I do like a few of the tracks though. For me I think his best moments were Odelay and Sea Change. I also quite like The Information.

bwrice said...

Whoops - the comment above was supposed to be attached to the Debra thread, not this one.