Tuesday, May 6, 2008

2:42: I Love You Because *Update!*



Elvis Presley: I Love You Because

[purchase]

At my age, when I think of Elvis Presley my mind immediately turns to tacky products and cultural abominations.  But when I ignore all of that and imagine an unknown 19 year old kid singing into a tape recorder at Sun Studios in Memphis, in 1954, I can't help but be moved.  This is the very beginning of rock and roll, and Elvis was right there in the middle of it.  He was dang good at it too.

Elvis's The Sun Sessions is Rolling Stone Magazine's 11th greatest album of all time and That's Alright Mama (track 1, 1:57) is considered by many authorities to be the first rock and roll recording ever.


**Update!**

This is your blog administrator speaking: Great song BWR! I really love the Sun Sessions. I thought you might like to hear the original version by Leon Payne: Leon Payne – I Love You Because [purchase]. Note that the original clocks in at 2:45. Elvis's pop instincts must have told him to shave off three seconds to get it just right.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

BWR - I hope you don't mind me adding to your post. Admin's prerogative!