Thursday, June 5, 2008

Boats: Luxury Liner



The International Submarine Band: Luxury Liner

[purchase]


Emmylou Harris: Luxury Liner

[purchase]


Is this song even about boats? The only evidence I can find is the very first line: "Luxury liner, 40 tons of steel". Hey ho, I love Gram Parsons, so I shall include it here, along with the more popular cover by Emmylou Harris.

I could spend some time talking about the relationship between Gram and Emmylou, but I'm sure most of you know more than I do, so that's all for now folks.

(Note to self...must endeavour to write a coherent post over here at SMM...I've just got so many songs I want to post and it's my first week, so I'm an enthusiastic newbie!).


8 comments:

Paul said...

Funny. I almost posted the same two songs but then I couldn't tell for sure if the dang thing really was about boats.

Divinyl said...

Ha! Who cares? Lol. I've already broken the rules once, and it's a great song...the title fits, so I vote 'yay'!

Anonymous said...

Somehow I always thought that a Luxury Liner was a truck trailer type thing.

Paul said...

OK, the verdict is in. Luxury Liner is NOT about a boat. :-)

In the US, the legal limit for a semi-truck with a trailer is 80,000 pounds (i.e. "40 tons"). The lyrics mention 40 tons.

So the "luxury liner" is probably a Freightliner, or some kind of truck.

Divinyl said...

Doh! Can it stay anyway? It's a good song :o) And I don't mind my ignorance (as a non-US citizen) being exposed! Lol. My next will fit the theme dead on, I swear...now to think of one that does!!

Paul said...

Oh sure, it should stay. You never take Gram off the board!

Anonymous said...

It's funny though, I always pictured a big old ship cruiser thing when this tune comes along. Now I know better.. and even tho it turns out it aint a boat.. i was jealous to see this great song go up without thinking of it myself!

whiskeytown covers this song but if you ask me it doesn't measure up to the orig.

a fine post, and welcome by, dvinyl!

Divinyl said...

I know, it's always made me think of a boat/ship...ah well! I've got the Whiskeytown cover, as well as Albert Lee, Yo La Tengo and Railroad Earth, but these two are still the best :o)

Thanks Brendan...pleasure to make your acquaintance!